Events and Occurrences that led to Geodes
1. Driving down the expressway I saw each day a pile of shattered safety glass sparkling like diamonds in the early morning sun.
2. One day I saw a roadside vendor with his display of rocks, minerals, and geodes.
Geodes are spheroidal to eccentric-shaped rocks formed when minerals either enter or are trapped in openings or voids inside preexisting rock material. In volcanic rocks, fluids and gases often remain inside air pockets in the lava. During and after cooling, these fluids, from the outside in, fill the cavity with various successions of agate and quartz layers, often ending in open cavities with inward-facing quartz crystals.
3. I imagined the geodes as coconut shells filled with crystallized glass.
4. Coconut geodes are real and are found in Mexico.
5. For Christmas I asked Melina and Yareth to collect the glass for me.
6. I also rescued the remains of a broken pink perfume bottle from a parking lot where I worked.